Everyone knows that crimes occur, but many people don’t realize how much danger they, their homes and their businesses are actually in. According to such reputable sources as the FBI, the Alarm Industry Research & Educational Foundation and the National Fire Protection Association, there are some pretty sobering statistics to consider. Let’s take a look at 5 of these stats and what you can do to protect yourself, your family and your property from becoming victimized.
- In the US, 4 burglaries occur every minute. That equates to one break-in every 15 seconds. In fact, the United States currently leads the world in this type of crime. If your home or business isn’t adequately protected, there’s a startlingly good chance you could be next.
- The University of North Carolina at Charlotte’s Department of Criminal Justice and Criminology conducted a recent study about burglaries. The study revealed that most would-be criminals will try to determine whether a target property has a security system in place before attempting a break-in.
- A property that has already been burglarized once will often be targeted again. That’s because the criminal becomes more comfortable with the layout and may want to come back for more. If your home or business has been broken into, investing in either a security system or company immediately is critical.
- According to a Special Report by the Bureau of Justice Statistics, 28% of home burglaries occurred while a household member was there. This is especially dangerous because in many of these cases, the person in the home was also subjected to some form of violence.
- FBI research demonstrates that burglary victims suffer an average dollar loss of $2,185 per incident. Sadly, only about 13% of these types of crimes are ever solved, making the likelihood of retrieving stolen property very low.
These are just 5 of the many interesting yet sobering statistics surrounding the dangers and losses associated with burglaries. You can greatly reduce your personal risk by investing in a security service. And given the average dollar amount lost in such an incident, the cost of protecting yourself becomes minimal. If you’d like to discuss your particular needs and learn more about how we can help, give us a call at 1-800-495-0400.